Selecting the Ideal Electrician for LED Installations
If you’re starting a new construction or remodeling project you’re most likely trying to figure out the best way to contain costs and manage your budget. A major piece of any new construction effort is the lighting application. Today our homes, office buildings, and entertainment venues include accent lighting, security and entertainment systems, and appliances that improve our quality of living.
It might be tempting to try and save costs by doing the installation yourself or by hiring your cousin who’s a handyman, but doing so could end up costing you in the long run. If it’s not done correctly you run the risk of not passing the final inspection which means you’ll have to hire someone to make it right. Even more importantly improper wiring greatly increases the chances of an electrical fire which is one of the many reasons we strongly recommend working with a licensed electrician.
Choosing the Right Electrical Contractor:
Choosing the right electrician is a little like finding the right doctor or car mechanic, it can be difficult to select the right person for the job. One thing to keep in mind is that like doctors and mechanics, there are both generalists and specialists when it comes to electricians.
The first step in selecting the right contractor for your project is to define your needs. Is the application commercial or residential, indoor or outdoor, new construction or remodeling? Does the work require any specialized systems such as LED lighting effects, sound, video, communications, or networks?
Once you have defined your specific need, your goals are to find a contractor that is:
- Technically proficient – electrical safety and reliability are the two most important factors for any electrical installation. It’s critical that they follow recognized standards of safety and quality for LED lighting and electrical work. Also make sure that the contractor will correct any work that does not meet quality and safety standards.
- Reputable and financially stable–you want to work with a contractor that has a good reputation and has been around for a while. Request references and ask them about things like professionalism, quality, timeliness, and find out whether or not
- Knowledgeable and Experienced – do they have the ability to help you select the right LED lighting solution for your application? For example, can they explain the differences in White LED strips and which one is best for you?
- Licensed in the jurisdiction where your project is located– this means the electrician fully understands what will be required to pass an inspection (if one is required). It also means that they understand quality and safety standards.
- Insured – ask about the contractor’s warranty and insurance and get it in writing. You may also ask to get a copy of the insurance certificate for your records.
The electrician you hire for your construction or remodeling project is responsible for a lot. They’re responsible for installing the lighting fixtures, wiring, fuses, panels and switch gear, and switches that make everything operate in addition to being the person who coordinates many of the project details.
If you’re investing in new construction or remodeling and your project includes installing LED lighting fixtures and controllers you want to make sure everything is done right. Hiring a professional and licensed electrician will help you keep your entire project on time and on budget.
If you have any questions at all be sure to give us a call. We can even provide you with recommendations for finding qualified electricians in your area.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.